This week began with running in our newly formed PT groups. I am running in the Bravo group. Our Monday classroom study included Convoy Ops and IED's as well as the professional ethic of the Army Chaplain. Tuesday was a muscle failure workout at Darby Field. Our classroom study included map reading and compass training along with sacred communication lab.
Wednesday we spent our time at St. Lo (PIX: (1) Relaxing before breakfast (2) At chow time washing hands and waiting in line). There we put into practice our knowledge of map and compass navigation during both the day and night. We also received more WTT (Warrior Training Task) instruction to prepare for our test on Thursday. ...I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills... Fourth Squads (of which I am a part) were dispersed among the first three squads. So I was in the Second Squad of First Platoon. We finished in first place of the twelve squads (PIC: Preparing our first azimuth). Likewise, First Platoon came in first place overall and so we received a streamer on our guidon (our platoon's standard). HOOAH!
On Thursday we went to the Day and Night Infiltration Courses (DIC & NIC). These included how to properly perform the 3-5 second run, low crawl, high crawl, how to give and take cover (e.g., 'Cover me while I'm moving'; 'Moving'; 'In position') etc. By the end, I was bruised and bleeding, hooah! We spent 4 hours taking our WTT test. There we had to properly send and recieve radio communications, access and address a fallen soldier's injuries, read a map by determining an azimuth and back azimuth, properly put on your "gas mask" in less than 9 seconds etc. At the NIC (aka NIC @ Night) we crawled under barbed wire and did the low crawl in sand while bullets with tracers flew over our heads. We received Army earplugs to prevent hearing loss (PIC: After the course). Longest day yet!
We ended the week with more sacred communication labs, Army Personnel Recovery (IMDC-Isolated, Missing, Detained or Captured) and a test on the Roles and Organization of the Army.
And my final news for the week. I broke my little left toe! How? I fell off a 30-foot tower! Okay, not really. Actually, a Humvee ran over my foot. Okay, that wasn't it either. You just want me to tell you what really happened? I stubbed my toe on the chair in my bedroom during a 3 am bathroom excursion. I went to the hospital and they ex-rayed my toe. They told me it was broken, wrapped it and gave me some painkillers to help get me through my three-mile runs. We have a diagnostic APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) on Wednesday morning. If anyone fails to meet the Army requirements, you are put into special pop PT, which consists of more exercise in the evening. I do not want to be a part of that crowd. I will be running on the broken toe!
This morning we practiced D & C some more and had a competition to determine which Platoon executes the best. We lost to 4th Platoon and so did not receive a streamer for our guidon. I think the judges were paid off. SGT Burton was not happy! After all, there are no modified positions and D & C is not about entertaining antics. What are ya gonna do?
I am an American soldier. I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values...
Wednesday we spent our time at St. Lo (PIX: (1) Relaxing before breakfast (2) At chow time washing hands and waiting in line). There we put into practice our knowledge of map and compass navigation during both the day and night. We also received more WTT (Warrior Training Task) instruction to prepare for our test on Thursday. ...I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills... Fourth Squads (of which I am a part) were dispersed among the first three squads. So I was in the Second Squad of First Platoon. We finished in first place of the twelve squads (PIC: Preparing our first azimuth). Likewise, First Platoon came in first place overall and so we received a streamer on our guidon (our platoon's standard). HOOAH!
On Thursday we went to the Day and Night Infiltration Courses (DIC & NIC). These included how to properly perform the 3-5 second run, low crawl, high crawl, how to give and take cover (e.g., 'Cover me while I'm moving'; 'Moving'; 'In position') etc. By the end, I was bruised and bleeding, hooah! We spent 4 hours taking our WTT test. There we had to properly send and recieve radio communications, access and address a fallen soldier's injuries, read a map by determining an azimuth and back azimuth, properly put on your "gas mask" in less than 9 seconds etc. At the NIC (aka NIC @ Night) we crawled under barbed wire and did the low crawl in sand while bullets with tracers flew over our heads. We received Army earplugs to prevent hearing loss (PIC: After the course). Longest day yet!
We ended the week with more sacred communication labs, Army Personnel Recovery (IMDC-Isolated, Missing, Detained or Captured) and a test on the Roles and Organization of the Army.
And my final news for the week. I broke my little left toe! How? I fell off a 30-foot tower! Okay, not really. Actually, a Humvee ran over my foot. Okay, that wasn't it either. You just want me to tell you what really happened? I stubbed my toe on the chair in my bedroom during a 3 am bathroom excursion. I went to the hospital and they ex-rayed my toe. They told me it was broken, wrapped it and gave me some painkillers to help get me through my three-mile runs. We have a diagnostic APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) on Wednesday morning. If anyone fails to meet the Army requirements, you are put into special pop PT, which consists of more exercise in the evening. I do not want to be a part of that crowd. I will be running on the broken toe!
This morning we practiced D & C some more and had a competition to determine which Platoon executes the best. We lost to 4th Platoon and so did not receive a streamer for our guidon. I think the judges were paid off. SGT Burton was not happy! After all, there are no modified positions and D & C is not about entertaining antics. What are ya gonna do?
I am an American soldier. I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values...
Things I learned in basic training:
ReplyDeleteI have no night vision and would be useless unless I did war only from 9-5.
Buddies are necessary due to comment number one.
Tracers are right purty at night, as long as they are not flying over YOUR head.
Low crawl, high crawl, the operative word here is "crawl." Cause that's the sound you make while doing it. "crawl, crawl, crawl, ralph, crawl."
Map orientation: only class I failed during basic and advanced training. "Read right and up!"
PT stinks whether you do it well or not.
Even army food tastes good when you're hot, tired and starving. Except for grits. Always trade for Chicken Ala King MREs.
Hoo-rah!
Spoken like a true soldier! HOOAH!
ReplyDelete