This morning I came into North Carolina. The mountains there are amazing! The clouds were resting in the trees as the sky came into contact with the earth. The natural scenery was so majestic it made me think of how reasonable it is to worship creation! Nature can be so breath-taking it can drive you to your knees. It is strange to say that mountains and trees can appear to be other-worldly, but they are in a sense. Their beauty should not lead to tree worship, but that worldview is not as irrational as some might suggest. However, I would argue the beauty of creation points us to a Creator, an intelligent designer, who has left his fingerprints on his artwork. The scenery on the road to Fort Jackson should leave one speechless for a spell. How it could be any other way is a mystery to me. Yet, there is always someone who can walk through an entire art gallery and never take off his hat and reflect, perhaps even cry. Such a man can never be moved nor will he move others.
Thus, begins for me a spiritual journey. This summer offers me an opportunity to take a break from preparing Wednesday Evening Bible Studies, Sunday School lessons, Communion meditations and sermons. Now is my chance to learn the art of listening again. I had already chosen Elijah as the prophet for my summer devotions. How fitting to travel through hill country as I follow in his footsteps! Elijah's journey of faith took him over some mountains and his peaks led him through some valleys.
Just as God designed this sin-stained planet, he has been creatively working in human history as well. His story does not end in Revelation with the apostle John. I am excited to see how God will use this summer to further mold me into the image of Jesus! I pray that as the Holy Spirit uniquely challenges you this summer you will have eyes to see and the ears to hear! May you take off your shoes and weep at his goodness and grace!
No comments:
Post a Comment