Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Joint Armed Forces Reserve Center

On Saturday, May 14th I reported for my first drill weekend with the Army Reserve in Bartonville. Lt. Cody Smith was my sponsor. Like myself, he is endorsed by the Christian Church and Churches of Christ and is currently completing his M.Div. at Lincoln Christian University. He is a Chaplain Candidate who will graduate from Chaplain Basic Officer Leaders Course (CH-BOLC) with me this August 19th.
It was requested of me that I report in my Army Combat Uniform (ACU). Not having been to basic training yet, it was inevitable that I make some protocol mistakes. Being ignorant of the ranks of enlisted soldiers I was not able to properly address unit members. Over the course of the weekend I learned that I should avoid placing my hands in my pockets. Add to that list hands on hips as well! Just keep your arms crossed. After I completed 17 pages of paperwork in blue ink I was told to only use black ink! Oops! My uniform had many loose strings that needed to be burned off. An hour later, I was a squared-away soldier.
I received the 419th Movement Control Battalion's (MCB) unit patch to add to my ACU. This unit just returned from Afghanistan in December 2010. I look forward to serving this unit of men and women! Hooah!
















No comments:

Post a Comment